We collect 75% of information about the world surrounding us through our eyes and today our eyes are more vulnerable than ever to the demands and dangers of civilized life. Our lifestyle, diet and our changed surroundings all place new demands on our bodies and our eyes may not be able to cope.
* Increased time spent indoors, relying on artificial light
* Time spent looking at close objects: reading, computer screens, TV, video games
* Improved diet has actually increased the number of people with short sight
* Increased importance of night vision (e.g. for driving)
* Living longer means more of us will need reading glasses